In 1884, this memorial was dedicated to commemorate and honor Margaret Haughery, or as she was widely known, “Margaret of New Orleans”, “The Bread Woman of New Orleans”, and “Mother of Orphans”.
It is one of the first memorials in the USA dedicated to a woman, created by Alexander Doyle, unveiled two years after Haughery’s death.
Arriving in New Orleans in 1835 with her husband, with no money and soon before giving birth to a new baby, she was left alone a few months later. As an orphan herself, and now as a widow, Haughery dedicated her life and the money she earned, to support orphans and widows in New Orleans.
At first, the money she donated originated from her wages, ironing in a laundry, and later from the businesses she built on her own, a dairy and bakery.
While developing her business, she supported the building of several orphanages in the city, donated money produce from her business on a daily basis.
When she died, she left all her assets besides the bakery to charities. After she passed away, the people of New Orleans gathered to build a statue to honor her contribution to the community.