A memorial dedicated to the four founders of the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR), an organization founded in August 1890 with the mission of “promoting historic preservation, education and patriotism.”
The memorial was created by the sculptress Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney and dedicated in 1929.
It is one of three of Whitney’s sculptures located in DC.
This marble sculpture features a woman standing with her arms open in the middle of a semi rectangle which has four medals, one for each of the founders: Mary Desha, Mary Smith Lockwood, Ellen Hardin Walworth, and Eugenia Washington.
It is located in a small garden on the side of the DAR building.