Women’s Health Protective Association Fountain

  • Womens-Health-Protective-Association-Fountain-WWP

Place Category: Memorial & StatuePlace Tags: NYC Places and Places in NY

  • Description
    Women’s Health Protective Association Fountain

    This marble bench and drinking fountain were dedicated on May 7th, 1910, to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the Woman’s Health Protective Association.
     
    During the 19th century, the streets of NYC were filled with dirt, manure, garbage, and factory waste. Eleven ambitious women recognized the health problems of living in these surroundings, and in 1884 they established the organization. They investigated sanitation issues, such as street cleaning, school hygiene, sewer draining, and clean water supply. Their tireless efforts led to the passage of several sanitary laws, which remain to this day. In the next thirteen years, the association branched out to other cities across the US.
     
    The memorial was created by Bruno Louis Zimm. The marble stele depicts two women holding a lamp, representing the organization’s mission to shed light on public health concerns. The names of the WHPA members are inscribed on the benches beside the stele.
     


  • More Info
    Address: Riverside Drive at 116th Street, New York
  • Map

    No Records Found

    Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.

    Google Map Not Loaded

    Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.


  • Booking.com
    Booking.com

  • Photo credit - WWP team

  • Women’s Health Protective Association Fountain

    Please Rate:

     
    52

  •