Nuns of the Battlefield

  • Nuns-of-The-Battlefield-WWP

Place Category: Memorial & StatuePlace Tags: Places in WDC and WDC Metro Area Places

  • Description
    Nuns of the Battlefield

    This memorial is dedicated to the hundreds of nuns who nursed the soldiers during the American Civil War, unveiled in September 1924.
     
    The ten-year campaign for the memorial was initiated, led and fund-raised by Ellen Jolly, the president of the women’s auxiliary branch of the Ancient Order of Hibernians. Jolly was personally inspired by the stories about the nuns during the war and wanted to dedicate their contribution in the US capital.
     
    The memorial, created by the artist Jerome Connor, presents 12 nuns on a bronze panel connected to a large granite slab. On both thin sides of the slab, there are two seated bronze female figures.
     


  • More Info
    Address: 1745 M St NW, Washington, DC 20036.
  • Map

    No Records Found

    Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.

    Google Map Not Loaded

    Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.




  • Booking.com



    Booking.com


  • Photo credit - WWP team.

  • Nuns of the Battlefield

    Please Rate:

     
    53

  •